Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Shelley Duvall, You Did This To Me.

    I was doomed to be a geek from the beginning. It wasn't a choice; it was fate. I blame Shelley Duvall. 

Here she is as Rapunzel with magical Rapunzel tears.
    See, Shelley Duvall had this wonderful television show called "Faerie Tale Theatre." She and her merry band of thespians - which, by the by, included the likes of Robin Williams, Jeff Goldblum, Eric Idle, Mick Jagger... - performed, you guessed it, fairy tales. They were wonderful, and I loved them from the start. I wanted to be in my own fairy tale as a result. 

Jeff Goldblum as the big, bad wolf. You are welcome.

    I didn't necessarily want to be the princess, although, let's be honest, being the pretty girl the hot guy couldn't get out of his head wasn't an altogether unappealing idea. I wanted to be much more than the princess. I wanted to be the princess/dragon slayer/magical being, who also happened to be hilariously funny with dazzling senses of fashion, irony, and right and wrong. Also, I wanted good hair, because I'm not demanding at all. 
   Being a geek and a girl was hard. I could read nearly perfect stories like The Chronicles of Narnia, which did, at least in this example, have clever and good female protagonists, but even then, the girls weren't usually the brave warrior characters. They were generally quite sweet and soft-spoken with long, flaxen waves and the grace of a prima ballerina. I wasn't...really...any of those things... 
    I'm loud, and random, and sort of fierce and intense. I tend to injure myself because I'm too harsh with everyday objects like can openers and pencils. I'm also blunt, sarcastic, and a enjoy a healthy dose of dark humor. I didn't read comic books, because I'm a fantasy geek. I also happen to have what I deem an "aversion" to heroines in skimpy clothing. (Not that they're bad, but do we really need to see a girl's cleavage to buy her as a butt-kicker?) Long story short, I was almost wholly without role models in nerd culture.
    Where are the stories for girls? When am I gonna get a chance to be the hero?
    It is with these questions in mind that I set out to write my own stories, and that is exactly what I am attempting to do. 
    I'm a writer. I'm a nerd. I'm a feminist. And, because it will be pertinent in the future and is the most important part of who I am, I'm a follower of Christ. I'm also wildly opinionated and tend to ramble. If you are interested in any of these points, stick around. I might say something worth reading. Maybe not, but there's always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment